Skip to main content

Marriage In A Disposable World

Have you seen the pictures going around the web that show an elderly couple, holding each other hands, embracing each other, and you can see the sense of comfort on their faces. The picture tells how the couple has been married for decades and asks the question of how they managed to stay married so long. The answer, because they come from a generation where when something was broken, they fixed it.

We have become a disposable world. We use disposable plates, disposable napkins, disposable cameras (okay, maybe not these as much). When new technology is introduced, there is a rush to buy it and get rid of the old (which, in some cases, in only a few months old). We want bigger, better, newer. We are not content.

Why, then, is it surprising that so marriages are failing? If things are not going the way we want, if we are no longer content, we can just go out and replace our spouse. After all, there are plenty of fish in the sea. (By the way, I have never liked that saying ... and I may be showing my age.) We think marriages should be like the ones we see in movies and in television shows. When they aren't, we simply go out and try again.

What happened to commitment?

What happened to happened to fixing what was broken?

What happened to our priorities?

We have not only become a disposable world, but we also have become a world where our priorities are backwards.

We put work in front of families. We put our choices of entertainment, what we watch, what we read, over what is good and pure for our marriage. We think of self instead of a marriage union of two becoming one. We put friends before our marriage. Some even put video games before their marriage. We even put our extended family before our marriages.

We put our children before our marriage. (Ahem....guilty!)

When did we stop asking the questions - Is this good for my marriage? Would this benefit my marriage or hurt it? Is this decision I am making the best decision for our marriage? Is what I am going to watch going to benefit or hurt my marriage? Is confiding things about my marriage to a member of the opposite sex going to benefit my marriage, or is it going to take away from my marriage? Am I becoming more emotionally invested in someone other than my spouse?

There are so many other questions we need to ask. We need to think of our marriage in practically ever decision we make.

We think that what we watch wont have any affect on our marriage. Really? What are you thinking when you watch a love scene in a movie. Are you thinking of your husband? Is the scene even realistic? Some of the love scenes I used to watch not only weren't realistic, they also didn't look very comfortable.

When did we stop putting effort into our marriages? When did we decide to stop working on keeping them strong? Marriages are a gift that we have taken for granted.

Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. Genesis 2:24  

When we marry, we leave our families. We become one flesh. We are no longer separate. We are one. I truly believe that divorce is as hard as it is because we are one. We are trying to break ourselves in two. It is painful. It is a scar that never goes away. I know from personal experience.

I have been blessed to be married to my husband for over ten years. I have been blessed that he didn't want to give up on us when I did. We have been blessed that God showed us we needed to fight for our marriage and shut out outside sources that told us we should just give up, that marriage is disposable.

Friends, I encourage you to fight for your marriage. It will be hard. I encourage you to pray for your marriage even especially when you don't want to.

If you are in a marriage that is strong, I encourage you to pray for a friends marriage that may not be.

I encourage you, in this disposable world, not to think of marriages as disposable. Marriages are a gift, a gift that should not be taken for granted.

Comments

  1. Hi there. My name is Lindsey. Stopping by from Domestically Faithful. A new blog that I have recently launched. Your blog is beautiful! Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lindsey! Your blog is wonderful. I can't wait to read more. Many blessings to you too. - Tracy

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Educational Resources from Educents

Educents is the trusted resource for every child's education. If your child is interested in Minecraft, butterflies, space, architecture, traveling.. you name it.. the hundreds of Sellers on Educents probably offer a way to turn your child's interests into a fun lesson. Keep scrolling to check out what's new, what's popular, and shop Educents deals by grade . Don't miss Educents' new freebie at the bottom of this post! What's new? 3D Animation Course - Kids will learn key 3D character animation concepts in this year-long online course as they create animated movies using their favorite Minecraft characters. Kids will learn all the necessary skills to create fun animated shorts, laying the foundation for a future career in animation, or simply giving kids a productive outlet for their love of Minecraft! Recommended for ages 8 to 14. Beginning Architecture Course - Frank Lloyd Wright never had it this good! This three-part series of Be

Vintage Christmas Wonderland - Review

When I was contacted a few weeks ago and asked if I would review a newly released Christmas album, I couldn't type fast enough to respond and say YES! Christmas is, by far, my favorite time of year.  When I received the Cds, they were wrapped in beautiful burlap and ribbon and decorated with a sparkly snowflake. Along with the Cds, there was a personal handwritten note. It was so sweet and just made the entire experience of this review scream vintage. Vintage Christmas Wonderland by David Ian has a smooth jazzy sound that takes you back to the days when life was less complicated. When I was contacted to review the album, it was described to me as " It's reminiscent of the Charlie Brown Christmas album and meant to bring warmth to the season!".  I can tell you, that is a perfect description. While listening to Vintage Christmas Wonderland, I felt like putting up my Christmas tree just so I could plug in the lights and watch them glow. I felt like starting a

Wild Brothers Tiger Trail PLUS New Adventures DVD set 1-4

The newest Wild Brother adventure is about to be released! Our kids get so excited when they see that a new Wild Brothers adventure is being released. They enjoy watching the Wild Brothers adventures in the remote jungle, where their family are missionaries. In their newest adventure,  The Wild Brothers, A Tigers Trail , the Wild Brothers hike remote trails in search of the legendary Tasmanian tiger. They are determined to uncover the truth while deepening their relationships with the people of their mountain. Get your family together to fully enjoy an adventure you will never forget! You can pre-order The Wild Brothers, Tiger Trail , now. The DVD will be released in April. As with their other adventure DVDs, there is a discussion and activity guide included free with the DVD. The Wild Brothers adventures are also being released in a DVD set. You can pre-order The Wild Brother adventure set, DVDs 1-4 , which will also be released in April. (This post contains