Skip to main content

When I Thought I Had Nothing To Give

Earlier this week I read a wonderful blog post from Keeper Of The Home titled The Great Debate: Is it Wrong for Christians to Be Wealthy?

I must admit, at first, I was not going to read it because I don't think of us as wealthy. We don't go on vacations, we don't have expensive cars, we have a small house, we don't shop at expensive stores, the list (and excuses) goes on and on. Boy, was I wrong. We are wealthy. We are wealthy with stuff!

One of the reasons I used to justify that I felt we weren't wealthy was because we live paycheck to paycheck. It is our own fault, we have a lot of debt. My husband and I were not raised to save, nor were we raised to not use credit in order to get things. We have since learned that our debts weigh heavily on us and it is something we want to pay off as soon as we can.

Because we live paycheck to paycheck, I always thought there was nothing we could give. I was wrong. We have clothes hanging in our closets that we haven't worn in years. The kids have clothes they have outgrown. I thought I was being a better steward and more responsible by selling them in order to buy clothing they will fit in now.

But then I read Keeper of The Home's blog post and my heart was changed. She inspired me to think about all the things we already have, that we don't need. Of all the verses she listed, this one spoke to me the most.

"So the people asked him, saying, 'What shall we do then?' He answered and said to them 'He who has two tunics, let him give to him who has none: and he who has food, let him do likewise.'" Luke 3:10-11

My closet is full of professional clothing that I used to wear when I worked. It is just sitting there, literally gathering dust. I don't have any reason to keep the clothing, other than my selfishness of wanting to be able to fit into them again someday. But when that day comes, why would I need to fit into them again. I no longer work outside the home and I have no plans on returning to work.

After reading Keeper of the Home's post, I contacted our local women's shelter and asked them if they could use the clothing. I immediately got a response of YES! The woman thanked me for thinking of them. Her response broke my heart. They have needs for items and those items have just been hanging in my closet for years.

So, over the next couple weeks, I will be cleaning out all the closets in our house. I am taking my clothing to the local women's shelter. I am going to take my husband's to a local men's shelter. For my children's clothing, some of them are going to a few children at our church. For the rest, I am going to find local foster care houses and see if they are in need of clothing. I know of a couple that are within an hour of where we live.

There is a book called 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess that is on my wishlist. From the reviews I have read, the book challenges you to get rid of your stuff that you don't need. I hope to get in the next few months. I am hoping that book will challenging me even more to get rid of our excess stuff.

I encourage you to look around your house and pray about what you can give to those who have none.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Christmas Wonderland - Review

When I was contacted a few weeks ago and asked if I would review a newly released Christmas album, I couldn't type fast enough to respond and say YES! Christmas is, by far, my favorite time of year.  When I received the Cds, they were wrapped in beautiful burlap and ribbon and decorated with a sparkly snowflake. Along with the Cds, there was a personal handwritten note. It was so sweet and just made the entire experience of this review scream vintage. Vintage Christmas Wonderland by David Ian has a smooth jazzy sound that takes you back to the days when life was less complicated. When I was contacted to review the album, it was described to me as " It's reminiscent of the Charlie Brown Christmas album and meant to bring warmth to the season!".  I can tell you, that is a perfect description. While listening to Vintage Christmas Wonderland, I felt like putting up my Christmas tree just so I could plug in the lights and watch them glow. I felt like starting a

Joyful Journaling - DaySpring Journal GIVEAWAY

Our children are getting older and I want them to start journaling. I want them to write down their thoughts for the day, but I also want them to journal with purpose. Our middle daughter is starting to experience more emotions as she is getting older. I am noticing that she is focusing more on things that went wrong in the day instead of the joys of the day. I came up with the idea of purposefully journaling and wanted to find the perfect journal for her to get started. A journal that would help her focus on joy! I decided to visit DaySpring and to look at their journals. I am so glad I did. I found the everyday joy journal. It is perfect! I want my children to journal with purpose. I want them to focus more on the blessings and joys of the day than focus on the negatives or disappointments of the day. Each day can be (and usually is) filled with both. It is my hope that positive thoughts will be come the norm and negative thoughts and disappointments will be lost at the end

Letting go of the boy, so he can become a man.

Rain! We thought the rain would never stop. It seemed to rain every day for over a week. All the while, our lawn continued to grow and grow. When there was finally a break in the rain, the lawn seemed to stand two feet tall. Our oldest son has taken on the responsibility of mowing the lawn. He was so happy when his dad told him that he could mow on his own. He longs to please his dad. He longs to make him happy. He longs for his approval. Of course, he doesn't have to mow in order to do or receive any of those things. He has been a daddy's boy since the day he came into the world and we found out we had a son. Our son went out to tackle mowing the lawn. He had been asking me every day if he could mow and today I was finally able to say yes, that it was dry enough. He had been out there mowing for about 20 minutes when he came in for a drink. He was dripping with sweat. My heart sunk for my boy, for how difficult the task he was attempting to complete. I told him that I