Skip to main content

My BIG struggle has gotten BIGGER.

A few months back I posted on my BIG struggle.  Today I still have the BIG struggle, but unfortunately it is BIGGER. I now weigh more than I did when I was 35 weeks pregnant and delivering my twins.

It has been a rough year and unfortunately I tried to deal with it by eating.  I turned to food to comfort me.  Although it would give me a moment of comfort, shortly after I would feel even more miserable than I did before I ate.

I have recently been doing a Bible study on the book Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney.  Currently I am in the chapter discussing self-control.  I have also started reading Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food by Lysa Terkeurst.

In the book Feminine Appeal the author states "Self-control doesn't just happen...Self-control requires effort.  However, development of this quality is not solely dependent upon us. We cannot acquire this virtue by our own strength.  It is only as we cooperate with the power of the Holy Spirit that we will achieve self-control".  She also states "Eating to calm our fears, alleviate stress, or overcome feelings of depression are other habits that do not glorify God.  Food is not our source of help or comfort.  God is."

In the book Made to Crave the author states "How do you grow close to God? By making the choice to deny ourselves something that is permissible but not beneficial.  And making this intentional sacrifice for the sole purpose of growing closer to God." She further states "pursuing self-control does help my heart feel closer to Jesus and more pure to receive what He wants for me each day...instead of clogged with guilty feelings for my poor choices.  But self-control is hard.  We don't like to deny ourselves."

Made to Crave is not a weight loss book.  The book makes you think about what you are craving.  Are you craving worldly things that only bring temporary comfort or are you craving God, the ultimate comforter? 

Do not love the world or anything in the world.  If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  For everything in the world - the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does - comes not from the Father but from the world.  1 John 2:15-16

I have come to realize that self-control really isn't all about me.  It is about seeking God to give me self-control.  I can't do it alone.  Anytime I try to do it on my own, I fail eventually.

I do not know what this new journey will bring.  I pray that first and foremost it will bring me closer to my Heavenly Father.  I pray that I will get self-control when it comes to my eating habits.  I pray that I will start living a healthy life not only for my own benefit but for my families benefit.  When I am this overweight and out of shape I am certainly not being the wife and mother that God made me to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Christmas Wonderland - Review

When I was contacted a few weeks ago and asked if I would review a newly released Christmas album, I couldn't type fast enough to respond and say YES! Christmas is, by far, my favorite time of year.  When I received the Cds, they were wrapped in beautiful burlap and ribbon and decorated with a sparkly snowflake. Along with the Cds, there was a personal handwritten note. It was so sweet and just made the entire experience of this review scream vintage. Vintage Christmas Wonderland by David Ian has a smooth jazzy sound that takes you back to the days when life was less complicated. When I was contacted to review the album, it was described to me as " It's reminiscent of the Charlie Brown Christmas album and meant to bring warmth to the season!".  I can tell you, that is a perfect description. While listening to Vintage Christmas Wonderland, I felt like putting up my Christmas tree just so I could plug in the lights and watch them glow. I felt like starting a

Zipzicles review and giveaway!!

A couple weeks ago I received a package of Zipzicles to try out and review. I must say, I was super excited. You can read about how Zipzicles was started here. This summer my children and I attended VBS at our church. Since our church is a 30 minute drive and VBS ran from 8:30-12:30, I knew that I would need to pack their lunches. I attempted to make my own Zipzicle type packaging but it did not turn out well at all. I didn't take pictures because no-one needs to witness how bad they were. So, a couple months ago I found Zipzicles and wanted to give them a try. It is such a simple idea and I cannot believe no-one thought of them sooner. One of the things I like most (besides being super convenient) is that the packages are BPA free and recyclable! I also like that I know exactly what my kids are eating because I make it myself. Okay, so here is what I did. I made smoothies and put them in the Zipzicle packages. I am a big fan of tropical smoothies. Here I have coconut milk

Joyful Journaling - DaySpring Journal GIVEAWAY

Our children are getting older and I want them to start journaling. I want them to write down their thoughts for the day, but I also want them to journal with purpose. Our middle daughter is starting to experience more emotions as she is getting older. I am noticing that she is focusing more on things that went wrong in the day instead of the joys of the day. I came up with the idea of purposefully journaling and wanted to find the perfect journal for her to get started. A journal that would help her focus on joy! I decided to visit DaySpring and to look at their journals. I am so glad I did. I found the everyday joy journal. It is perfect! I want my children to journal with purpose. I want them to focus more on the blessings and joys of the day than focus on the negatives or disappointments of the day. Each day can be (and usually is) filled with both. It is my hope that positive thoughts will be come the norm and negative thoughts and disappointments will be lost at the end