Thursday, November 3, 2011

Deluxe Sugar Cookies - YUM!

Every year when I was a child, my mom would make these homemade Deluxe Sugar Cookies.  I remember watching her roll out the dough, cut out the shapes and then I would anxiously await them being done so my brother, sister and I could frost them.  It is a great memory from my childhood.  And it is a memory that I am passing along to my own children.


These cookies are light and fluffy, yet have a little crunch around the edges.  They are my all time favorite.  I frost them with an almond butter cream frosting.

Deluxe Sugar Cookies
1 cup butter (softened)
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar

Mix together butter, powdered sugar, egg, vanilla and almond.  Add in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar.  Mix well.  Place dough on a piece of plastic wrap, wrap it up tight, place it in the refrigerator 2-3 hours.


On a lightly floured surface, roll 1/2 of the dough at a time 1/8 inch thick.  Cut into desired shapes.


Bake at 375 degrees for 7-8 minutes or till edges are firm and bottoms are very lightly browned.  Cool cookies on a rack or paper towel.


Almond Butter Cream Frosting
1/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp almond extract
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4-1/2 cup milk

Mix butter and almond extract.  Slowly alternate adding powdered sugar and milk.  You want the frosting spreadable, not runny.  You can add more powder sugar if needed.

I will usually separate the frosting into 3-4 small bowls and add food coloring, but for some reason I cannot find my food coloring.  I will definitely have to get more before Christmas.  The kids love using the different colors to decorate the Christmas trees, snowmen, bells and other shapes. 

Hope you enjoy your cookies!

2 comments:

  1. Visiting from the Christmas cookie linkup! These look great- I would love o try that icing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by! I am excited about the Christmas cookie linkup. What a great idea! The icing is wonderful. You can use vanilla instead of the almond extract (that is what my mom used). Personally, I love the almond. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete