Skip to main content

Making Better Use of Time

Over the past week I have been writing down goals for 2012.  Next year I am going to make better use of my time in all areas of my life. 

Financial - Are our family's financial goals steering us towards being good stewards with the income God has given us?

"Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law." (Romans 13:8)

My husband and I have not always been good stewards with our money.  A couple years ago after my husband lost his job, we realized how wrong we had been with handling our financial responsibility.  We were selfishly spending.  We were greedy. 

Last year we paid off over $8500 in debt.  We also paid cash for our storage barn. That was the greatest feeling, knowing that the building was paid for in full.  

This year we plan on paying off our remaining credit card debt as well as our vehicle loan. Once the credit cards are paid off, they will be cut up.  We are also planning on building up a 3 month emergency fund. Along with the emergency fund, we plan on paying cash for a new-to-us riding lawn mower, a garden, a new-to-my husband pick-up truck, painting the inside of the house and staining our deck. 

Health - Am I taking care of this life that God has blessed me with.  Am I healthy enough to do the work that God has for me?

"Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's". (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

A couple Christmas' ago, our marriage hit bottom and was (unknown to me) on the upswing.  Through this troubled time, I gained over 50 pounds.  It is my goal to loose that 50 pounds by my birthday.  That gives me over 7 months.  I will no longer rely on food for comfort.  I will find my comfort in my Heavenly Father. 

Another goal I have is to run my first 5k.  My husband's YMCA has an annual Drumstick Dash 5k in November and I am going to participate in it next year!

Homemaking - Am I being and doing what the Bible says I should as a homemaker. 

"To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed" (Titus 2:5)

She watches over the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness. (Proverbs 31:27)

My goal is to waste less time.  It is so easy to become idle on the computer.  There are so many good blogs, recipes, etc.  I could spend all day on there.  I will limit my time.  I will make my time purposeful. 

My goal is to not only plan out monthly menus in my head, but to actually write them down on a calendar.  I have been doing really well at buying groceries on a monthly meal basis, but not so good at writing it down.  I want to make sure that every night I have a meal to prepare.  This will not only be one of my homemaking goal, but also a financial goal because there will be no reason to have my husband pick something up on the way home from work. 

My goal is to sew more. I have curtains to make for the kids bedrooms, my daughter's love to wear skirts and dresses.  Next year, I will get it done.

My goal is to make a cleaning schedule for the house.  I will not only make one for myself, I will involve my children.  I will take the time to teach them how to care for a home.  I want our home to be a comforting place for my husband to come home to after a long day at work.

I have a goal to start canning this year. I have found a bulk food co-op where I can get fresh fruit. So excited!  We are also starting a garden this year so I look forward to canning the fruits of our labor so we can enjoy it all year long.

Homeschooling - Am I teaching my children what God wants me to be teaching them?

"Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." (Proverbs 22:6)

My goal is to make sure I am not only teaching the children reading, writing and arithmetic, but that I am also teaching them about character.  I bought a book called Our 24 Family Ways by Clay Clarkson.  I am excited to start this devotional character building time together.  I am also pretty sure that I will learn from it as well.

The list seems lengthy, but I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Christmas Wonderland - Review

When I was contacted a few weeks ago and asked if I would review a newly released Christmas album, I couldn't type fast enough to respond and say YES! Christmas is, by far, my favorite time of year.  When I received the Cds, they were wrapped in beautiful burlap and ribbon and decorated with a sparkly snowflake. Along with the Cds, there was a personal handwritten note. It was so sweet and just made the entire experience of this review scream vintage. Vintage Christmas Wonderland by David Ian has a smooth jazzy sound that takes you back to the days when life was less complicated. When I was contacted to review the album, it was described to me as " It's reminiscent of the Charlie Brown Christmas album and meant to bring warmth to the season!".  I can tell you, that is a perfect description. While listening to Vintage Christmas Wonderland, I felt like putting up my Christmas tree just so I could plug in the lights and watch them glow. I felt like starting a

Zipzicles review and giveaway!!

A couple weeks ago I received a package of Zipzicles to try out and review. I must say, I was super excited. You can read about how Zipzicles was started here. This summer my children and I attended VBS at our church. Since our church is a 30 minute drive and VBS ran from 8:30-12:30, I knew that I would need to pack their lunches. I attempted to make my own Zipzicle type packaging but it did not turn out well at all. I didn't take pictures because no-one needs to witness how bad they were. So, a couple months ago I found Zipzicles and wanted to give them a try. It is such a simple idea and I cannot believe no-one thought of them sooner. One of the things I like most (besides being super convenient) is that the packages are BPA free and recyclable! I also like that I know exactly what my kids are eating because I make it myself. Okay, so here is what I did. I made smoothies and put them in the Zipzicle packages. I am a big fan of tropical smoothies. Here I have coconut milk

Joyful Journaling - DaySpring Journal GIVEAWAY

Our children are getting older and I want them to start journaling. I want them to write down their thoughts for the day, but I also want them to journal with purpose. Our middle daughter is starting to experience more emotions as she is getting older. I am noticing that she is focusing more on things that went wrong in the day instead of the joys of the day. I came up with the idea of purposefully journaling and wanted to find the perfect journal for her to get started. A journal that would help her focus on joy! I decided to visit DaySpring and to look at their journals. I am so glad I did. I found the everyday joy journal. It is perfect! I want my children to journal with purpose. I want them to focus more on the blessings and joys of the day than focus on the negatives or disappointments of the day. Each day can be (and usually is) filled with both. It is my hope that positive thoughts will be come the norm and negative thoughts and disappointments will be lost at the end