Skip to main content

New attitude

Today is my birthday. For as long as I can remember, I have not looked forward to my birthday. As my birthday would near, I would get depressed and try to ignore the fact that it was coming.

When I was a little girl, the one thing I wanted more than anything on my birthday, I could not have. I wanted my dad to be there with me. My parents divorced when I was around 3 years old and I was adopted by my step-father when I was 5. From that day on, I was not allowed to see my father. I was told how awful my father was by my mother and my adopted father. I was told how awful their marriage was. As a result of this, I grew up thinking I was awful because I was a result of that marriage. For that reason, I hated my birthday.

In my adult years, especially recent years, I have dreaded my birthday because of what bad thing might happen. Four years ago, I went into pre-term labor with our twins on my birthday. I ended up spending the 3 days following that birthday in the hospital. I was 23 weeks pregnant and fearful for my babies. Two years ago on my birthday, I couldn't walk. I had something severely wrong with my back and it hurt to move. I couldn't roll over, I couldn't stand up. I was miserable. I went to the doctor and found out I had a herniated disk and a problem with my left hip.

This year, as my birthday approached, I noticed how bad my attitude was. I don't know how it finally dawned on me, but I realized that I was the reason my birthday was bad every year. I was the reason I had a bad attitude. Today, as I celebrate my 36th birthday, I look back over my past birthdays with a new attitude. My husband pointed out to me today, if I hadn't gone in to pre-term labor with the twins when I did, I wouldn't have received the shots needed to develop their lungs. If I hadn't received those shots and all the other medications, they could have ended up in the NICU after being born at 35 weeks. Instead, we were blessed to all leave the hospital together. It was a blessing that I went into pre-term labor and that my babies received the care they needed. I realized that if I didn't go to the doctor for my back when I did, that it could have turned into something worse, something needing surgery. Instead, I just ended up going to physically therapy to get better.

This morning, one of my daughter's came up to me, hugged me, and said "I love your birthday". Wow! How selfish have I been all these years. Why wouldn't I love my birthday. If I wouldn't have been born, I wouldn't have the blessing of being their mother. I wouldn't have the blessing of being married to my husband. I wouldn't have the blessing of growing closer to my Heavenly Father and towards the purpose He has for my life.

God has a great purpose for my life. He has a great purpose for lives of my children. If I don't change my attitude, none of us are going to know our purpose or fulfill our purpose.

For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works. And that my soul knows very well. Psalm 13-14

Whatever my past may have been, there was a reason for it. God is working in me to fulfill His purpose and I should have great joy in all that He does to get me to that purpose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Christmas Wonderland - Review

When I was contacted a few weeks ago and asked if I would review a newly released Christmas album, I couldn't type fast enough to respond and say YES! Christmas is, by far, my favorite time of year.  When I received the Cds, they were wrapped in beautiful burlap and ribbon and decorated with a sparkly snowflake. Along with the Cds, there was a personal handwritten note. It was so sweet and just made the entire experience of this review scream vintage. Vintage Christmas Wonderland by David Ian has a smooth jazzy sound that takes you back to the days when life was less complicated. When I was contacted to review the album, it was described to me as " It's reminiscent of the Charlie Brown Christmas album and meant to bring warmth to the season!".  I can tell you, that is a perfect description. While listening to Vintage Christmas Wonderland, I felt like putting up my Christmas tree just so I could plug in the lights and watch them glow. I felt like starting a

Zipzicles review and giveaway!!

A couple weeks ago I received a package of Zipzicles to try out and review. I must say, I was super excited. You can read about how Zipzicles was started here. This summer my children and I attended VBS at our church. Since our church is a 30 minute drive and VBS ran from 8:30-12:30, I knew that I would need to pack their lunches. I attempted to make my own Zipzicle type packaging but it did not turn out well at all. I didn't take pictures because no-one needs to witness how bad they were. So, a couple months ago I found Zipzicles and wanted to give them a try. It is such a simple idea and I cannot believe no-one thought of them sooner. One of the things I like most (besides being super convenient) is that the packages are BPA free and recyclable! I also like that I know exactly what my kids are eating because I make it myself. Okay, so here is what I did. I made smoothies and put them in the Zipzicle packages. I am a big fan of tropical smoothies. Here I have coconut milk

Joyful Journaling - DaySpring Journal GIVEAWAY

Our children are getting older and I want them to start journaling. I want them to write down their thoughts for the day, but I also want them to journal with purpose. Our middle daughter is starting to experience more emotions as she is getting older. I am noticing that she is focusing more on things that went wrong in the day instead of the joys of the day. I came up with the idea of purposefully journaling and wanted to find the perfect journal for her to get started. A journal that would help her focus on joy! I decided to visit DaySpring and to look at their journals. I am so glad I did. I found the everyday joy journal. It is perfect! I want my children to journal with purpose. I want them to focus more on the blessings and joys of the day than focus on the negatives or disappointments of the day. Each day can be (and usually is) filled with both. It is my hope that positive thoughts will be come the norm and negative thoughts and disappointments will be lost at the end