Skip to main content

Give credit where credit is due

Yesterday, after waiting almost 6 months, my husband closed on our very first home. It was a long, long, process and I never thought it was possible.

Back in March, my husband received a new job in a new city. Part of the job requirements was that our family reside in that city. At the time, the first time home buyer credit was still available until April 30, so we decided to try to buy a home. On April 8th, we walked in to the home that we decided we would like to be our home. It was a 1200 sq ft ranch, no garage, but a nice size hard so we could add on in the future. The best part, it was brand new. We wouldn't have to worry about having to pay for any major repairs in the first few years. That was a big plus for me. We signed a contract that day and the process began.

In order to receive the first time home buyer credit, we had to close by June 30th. No problem, right? Wrong! In May, the funding for the loan that we qualified for ran out. So, we waited and waited and waited. June 30th came and went. Our contract on our house expired and someone else made an offer on that house. I was extremely disappointed. I didn't think we could buy a house without that credit. I wanted the safety net of that credit.

We looked at other houses, even made an offer on one, but I was uneasy about it. One day in July, our Realtor called us and told us that the other offer on our house fell through. If we were to sign an extension on our original offer, we would still receive the first time home buyer credit as long as we closed on the house by September 30th. Again I thought, no problem, it is July after all.

A few things changed from the signing of the first contract and the signing of the extension on the contract. One major thing was that I had resigned from my job and come home to homeschool our children. The loss of that income made things a little more challenging. Luckily God sent us a mortgage lender who did not want to give up on us. She helped us through every step, above and beyond what I thought she would ever do.

Last Friday, our mortgage lender called to tell us that we were approved and to schedule our closing for Wednesday. After she told me we were approved, she asked me if I was excited. I didn't mean to disappoint her, but I wasn't. I didn't want to get excited until the keys were in my husband's hands. I had been excited too many time before and didn't want to get let down again. As we were going over the closing procedures, she told me the estimated amount of our closing costs. The amount was almost $1000 more than we had been told previous. My heart sank. I thought this was going to be another bump in our road and we will not get the house this time.

On Tuesday of this week, our mortgage lender called me with the final numbers. She told me that she had to lock us in at a different rate, a lower rate, and our house payment would be over $50 less per month. Our mortgage payment is now $250 less than we paid per month for rent. Then she told me that the closing costs were going to be over $1000 less than the amount she told me on Friday, which is less than the original amount we were told in the very beginning. I couldn't believe it! She told me that she called several people to double check the numbers, because she didn't think they were right. She then told me the sweetest words I could hear out of her mouth. "It must be God." She had no other explanation. How great is that!

We now have our first home. I never thought this day would come. All credit and glory goes to God! Without Him, absolutely nothing is possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Educational Resources from Educents

Educents is the trusted resource for every child's education. If your child is interested in Minecraft, butterflies, space, architecture, traveling.. you name it.. the hundreds of Sellers on Educents probably offer a way to turn your child's interests into a fun lesson. Keep scrolling to check out what's new, what's popular, and shop Educents deals by grade . Don't miss Educents' new freebie at the bottom of this post! What's new? 3D Animation Course - Kids will learn key 3D character animation concepts in this year-long online course as they create animated movies using their favorite Minecraft characters. Kids will learn all the necessary skills to create fun animated shorts, laying the foundation for a future career in animation, or simply giving kids a productive outlet for their love of Minecraft! Recommended for ages 8 to 14. Beginning Architecture Course - Frank Lloyd Wright never had it this good! This three-part series of Be

Vintage Christmas Wonderland - Review

When I was contacted a few weeks ago and asked if I would review a newly released Christmas album, I couldn't type fast enough to respond and say YES! Christmas is, by far, my favorite time of year.  When I received the Cds, they were wrapped in beautiful burlap and ribbon and decorated with a sparkly snowflake. Along with the Cds, there was a personal handwritten note. It was so sweet and just made the entire experience of this review scream vintage. Vintage Christmas Wonderland by David Ian has a smooth jazzy sound that takes you back to the days when life was less complicated. When I was contacted to review the album, it was described to me as " It's reminiscent of the Charlie Brown Christmas album and meant to bring warmth to the season!".  I can tell you, that is a perfect description. While listening to Vintage Christmas Wonderland, I felt like putting up my Christmas tree just so I could plug in the lights and watch them glow. I felt like starting a

Wild Brothers Tiger Trail PLUS New Adventures DVD set 1-4

The newest Wild Brother adventure is about to be released! Our kids get so excited when they see that a new Wild Brothers adventure is being released. They enjoy watching the Wild Brothers adventures in the remote jungle, where their family are missionaries. In their newest adventure,  The Wild Brothers, A Tigers Trail , the Wild Brothers hike remote trails in search of the legendary Tasmanian tiger. They are determined to uncover the truth while deepening their relationships with the people of their mountain. Get your family together to fully enjoy an adventure you will never forget! You can pre-order The Wild Brothers, Tiger Trail , now. The DVD will be released in April. As with their other adventure DVDs, there is a discussion and activity guide included free with the DVD. The Wild Brothers adventures are also being released in a DVD set. You can pre-order The Wild Brother adventure set, DVDs 1-4 , which will also be released in April. (This post contains