Skip to main content

But I'm doing something that makes you happy...a lesson in disobedience.

My oldest son has a strong mind and a loving heart.  He loves to do things that he knows will make his dad and I proud.  His love language is definitely Words of Affirmation.

One day I asked him to go to his room and read two books.  Grudgingly, he went to his room and I went about my daily tasks.  A little while later I noticed him come out of his room, go get the vacuum and take it back to his room.  A few moments later he came out of his room, put the vacuum away, came back and said "Mom, come look at my room.  It is all clean."  As I looked into his room, he was right.  It was cleaner than I have ever seen it.  I told him that he did a great job and I really appreciated all the effort he put into cleaning his room.  I then asked him which two books he read.

He proceeded to tell me that he didn't read the books because he was too busy cleaning his room for me.  I told him that while I appreciated his clean room, it is not what I asked him to do.  He said "But I thought it would make you happy."

This interaction with my son caused me to think; how many times in my life have I done something that I think would be pleasing to God in order to avoid doing what God has told me to do.  How many times have I knowingly disobeyed.

Now therefore, listen to me, my children, For blessed are those who keep my ways.  Hear instruction and be wise, And do not disdain it. Blessed in the man who listens to me... Proverbs 8:32-34

I know that there have been times God has asked me to work on a particular area of my life or mend a relationship that has been broken and instead of doing what he asked, I would read my Bible more, serve in an area of need, spend more time teaching my children or being a better homemaker.  I know that those are things that are pleasing to God, but that is not what He was asking me to do.

Lord, I pray that I stop doing what I think is pleasing to You and start doing what You are asking me to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Christmas Wonderland - Review

When I was contacted a few weeks ago and asked if I would review a newly released Christmas album, I couldn't type fast enough to respond and say YES! Christmas is, by far, my favorite time of year.  When I received the Cds, they were wrapped in beautiful burlap and ribbon and decorated with a sparkly snowflake. Along with the Cds, there was a personal handwritten note. It was so sweet and just made the entire experience of this review scream vintage. Vintage Christmas Wonderland by David Ian has a smooth jazzy sound that takes you back to the days when life was less complicated. When I was contacted to review the album, it was described to me as " It's reminiscent of the Charlie Brown Christmas album and meant to bring warmth to the season!".  I can tell you, that is a perfect description. While listening to Vintage Christmas Wonderland, I felt like putting up my Christmas tree just so I could plug in the lights and watch them glow. I felt like starting a

Joyful Journaling - DaySpring Journal GIVEAWAY

Our children are getting older and I want them to start journaling. I want them to write down their thoughts for the day, but I also want them to journal with purpose. Our middle daughter is starting to experience more emotions as she is getting older. I am noticing that she is focusing more on things that went wrong in the day instead of the joys of the day. I came up with the idea of purposefully journaling and wanted to find the perfect journal for her to get started. A journal that would help her focus on joy! I decided to visit DaySpring and to look at their journals. I am so glad I did. I found the everyday joy journal. It is perfect! I want my children to journal with purpose. I want them to focus more on the blessings and joys of the day than focus on the negatives or disappointments of the day. Each day can be (and usually is) filled with both. It is my hope that positive thoughts will be come the norm and negative thoughts and disappointments will be lost at the end

Letting go of the boy, so he can become a man.

Rain! We thought the rain would never stop. It seemed to rain every day for over a week. All the while, our lawn continued to grow and grow. When there was finally a break in the rain, the lawn seemed to stand two feet tall. Our oldest son has taken on the responsibility of mowing the lawn. He was so happy when his dad told him that he could mow on his own. He longs to please his dad. He longs to make him happy. He longs for his approval. Of course, he doesn't have to mow in order to do or receive any of those things. He has been a daddy's boy since the day he came into the world and we found out we had a son. Our son went out to tackle mowing the lawn. He had been asking me every day if he could mow and today I was finally able to say yes, that it was dry enough. He had been out there mowing for about 20 minutes when he came in for a drink. He was dripping with sweat. My heart sunk for my boy, for how difficult the task he was attempting to complete. I told him that I