Skip to main content

Keeping A Stocked Pantry and Freezer Saves Money

The first thought that came to my mind when I heard people talk about keeping stocked pantries and freezers was; How can they afford it?

Now that I have been building up/stocking my freezer and pantry for about six months, I can answer that question.

My method involved starting out slow.  I didn't just go out and buy a bunch of food so my pantry would be full.  Instead, I looked for coupons, made lists of the meals we regularly eat, and started shopping at Aldi.

Now that I have been shopping at Aldi, I don't know why I waited so long.  I have to tell you though,  make sure you price check to insure you are getting the best deal.  I find that I can usually get canned goods the cheapest at Aldi, as well as produce, oatmeal, eggs (only .49 cents a dozen) and some freezer items.  Other items I find cheaper at Sam's Club.  When figuring out what is cheaper, try to go by a price per measurement.  For instance, I buy a 2 lb bag of powdered sugar at Aldi for $1.49.  Sam's Club sells a 15 lb bag for around $17.50.  Aldi ends up being cheaper per pound.

I clip coupons of products I know we will use.  I don't do the drug store game.  I don't have time.  I know there are people out there who say it is worth it, but to me it is not.  If I have coupons that are .50 cents or less, I will use them at Kroger because then they are doubled.  If I have a coupon that is .55 cents or higher, I look for whatever store is having the best deal.

Some of my pantry staples are:
Rice (brown, white, seasoned)
Beans (blk, northern, chili, refried)
Soups (cream of  mushroom, cream of chicken, tomato, chicken noodle)
Evaporated Milk
Tomato Sauce
Stewed Tomatoes
Wheat Crackers
Ritz Crackers
Salsa
Flour (wheat, white, bread)
Sugar (white, powdered, brown)
Canola oil
Oatmeal
Barbeque sauce
Pasta (elbow, thin spaghetti, lasagna, fettuccine)
Cereal (only when I can get it for under $1.50 per box)
Chocolate Chips (semi-sweet and dark chocolate)
Hershey Baking Cocoa
Baking Soda
Baking Powder
Corn Starch

Now onto stocking my freezer.  Whenever I go to the store, I look in the meat section to see if there are any markdowns.  If there are, and I think they are reasonable, I will buy it and put it in my freezer.  I also buy quite a bit of our meat at Sam's Club.  Again, I look first for the marked down meat.  I especially look around Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.  Last year I bought a 12 lb turkey around Christmas for under $7.00. I kept it in the freezer and that was what we had for Thanksgiving.  Around this past Thanksgiving, I found another 12 lb turkey for under $7.00, so that is what we will have for next Thanksgiving. 

In my freezer, I also have prepared meals.  When I make a lasagna, spaghetti, oven baked tacos (I freeze only the filler), southwest burritos, tater tot casserole, etc., I make double. I cook one and put the other one in the freezer. The prep time is the same, but I end up with two meals.

Some staples I keep in my freezer are:
Taco meat
Mashed potatoes
Rice
Cheezy potatoes
Cooked shredded chicken
Bread (I look on the almost expired/baked too much bread cart)

When I make banana bread, breakfast cookies, muffins, etc., I always try to double the recipe and freeze the majority.  The kids know that if they want a muffin or breakfast cookie for snack later in the day, they just take one of the freezer when they get up and it will be thawed when they are ready to eat it.

This year we are going to plant a garden.  I am hoping that it goes well and I am able to can or freeze fresh fruits and vegetables from our garden. I am also going to attempt to make my own beans so I don't have to buy canned anymore.

Also, I just signed up to received emails from Bulk Natural Foods. You can order fresh fruits, dry goods, coconut oil, etc. I pick up my first order of organic oranges next week.  I am excited to make fresh orange juice and freeze some too!

It has taken me about six months, but now we have about at least a full months worth of food in our pantry and freezer. I could stretch it out further if needed. When planning out my meals for the month, I just look in my freezer and pantry. I always have easy-to-prepare or already-made meals on hand. This makes eating out less tempting, which in turn saves us money.

Comments

  1. Great idea about stocking up the freezer. So many nights I find myself not prepared, that would be great to just throw something from freezer into oven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great time saver. My favorite is freezing cooked shredded chicken, taco meat and other type of "fillers" for meals. I love that I can just pull out a bag of chicken, whip up a creamy chicken casserole, throw it in the oven and be done. Thanks for reading my blog! I have enjoyed starting to read yours too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Educational Resources from Educents

Educents is the trusted resource for every child's education. If your child is interested in Minecraft, butterflies, space, architecture, traveling.. you name it.. the hundreds of Sellers on Educents probably offer a way to turn your child's interests into a fun lesson. Keep scrolling to check out what's new, what's popular, and shop Educents deals by grade . Don't miss Educents' new freebie at the bottom of this post! What's new? 3D Animation Course - Kids will learn key 3D character animation concepts in this year-long online course as they create animated movies using their favorite Minecraft characters. Kids will learn all the necessary skills to create fun animated shorts, laying the foundation for a future career in animation, or simply giving kids a productive outlet for their love of Minecraft! Recommended for ages 8 to 14. Beginning Architecture Course - Frank Lloyd Wright never had it this good! This three-part series of Be

Vintage Christmas Wonderland - Review

When I was contacted a few weeks ago and asked if I would review a newly released Christmas album, I couldn't type fast enough to respond and say YES! Christmas is, by far, my favorite time of year.  When I received the Cds, they were wrapped in beautiful burlap and ribbon and decorated with a sparkly snowflake. Along with the Cds, there was a personal handwritten note. It was so sweet and just made the entire experience of this review scream vintage. Vintage Christmas Wonderland by David Ian has a smooth jazzy sound that takes you back to the days when life was less complicated. When I was contacted to review the album, it was described to me as " It's reminiscent of the Charlie Brown Christmas album and meant to bring warmth to the season!".  I can tell you, that is a perfect description. While listening to Vintage Christmas Wonderland, I felt like putting up my Christmas tree just so I could plug in the lights and watch them glow. I felt like starting a

Wild Brothers Tiger Trail PLUS New Adventures DVD set 1-4

The newest Wild Brother adventure is about to be released! Our kids get so excited when they see that a new Wild Brothers adventure is being released. They enjoy watching the Wild Brothers adventures in the remote jungle, where their family are missionaries. In their newest adventure,  The Wild Brothers, A Tigers Trail , the Wild Brothers hike remote trails in search of the legendary Tasmanian tiger. They are determined to uncover the truth while deepening their relationships with the people of their mountain. Get your family together to fully enjoy an adventure you will never forget! You can pre-order The Wild Brothers, Tiger Trail , now. The DVD will be released in April. As with their other adventure DVDs, there is a discussion and activity guide included free with the DVD. The Wild Brothers adventures are also being released in a DVD set. You can pre-order The Wild Brother adventure set, DVDs 1-4 , which will also be released in April. (This post contains